If you’re looking for an alternative to pumpkin pie this year, or perhaps you’d like a yummy breakfast treat for family staying over the weekend, pumpkin beer bread may be just the thing. Beer is a natural leavener and gives extra lift to breads and cakes. Also, cakes and quick breads that contain beer will be more moist and have a tender, delicate texture.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Beer Bread:
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg white
- 1/3 cup pumpkin beer (or another fall, harvest-type beer)
- 7.5 ounces (a half can) pumpkin puree (use canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup water
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
2. Grease and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
3. Combine the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda, and spices) in a bowl. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, beat the sugar, canola oil, eggs (including the extra egg white), beer, and canned pumpkin until smooth.
5. In a small bowl, combine the chia seeds and water and allow them to soak for a few minutes. Add to the wet ingredients and mix well.
6. Gradually add in the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
7. Pour the bread batter into the loaf pan.
8. Bake for 50 minutes. Test the bread by inserting a toothpick into the center of the loaf. It should come out clean.
9. Allow the loaf to cool for 10 minutes, then flip it over to remove it. Allow it to cool completely on a wire rack.
Find the perfect beer for your baking recipes at The Growler Guys.
Local craft beers can add flavor and enhance the texture of your baking goods. Why not pick out your favorites at The Growler Guys? Our taprooms have a wide variety of local craft beers, from the lightest pale ales to the darkest stouts. Let our staff help you select the perfect seasonal flavors for your cakes and breads.