Are you a fan of rich, decadent chocolate cake? Have you ever tried making it with your favorite stout beer? If not, you’re in for a treat! Stout chocolate cake is a delicious and indulgent dessert that combines the deep flavors of chocolate and beer into a mouthwatering masterpiece.
And speaking of finding your favorite stout beer, why not head to your local Growler Guys taproom? With a wide selection of craft beers on tap, you’re sure to find the perfect stout to use in your cake recipe. Whether you prefer a creamy milk stout or a bold imperial stout, the knowledgeable staff at Growler Guys can help you find just the right one.
Why use stout beer in a chocolate cake?
Stout beer can add a rich, complex flavor to chocolate cake, taking it to the next level. The dark, malty flavors of stout beer can complement chocolate’s deep, bittersweet taste, creating a delicious and unique combination of flavors.
The carbonation in stout beer can also help the cake rise and create a lighter texture. In addition, the beer’s acidic properties can help tenderize the gluten in the flour, resulting in a moist and tender crumb.
Furthermore, using stout beer in baking can impart a subtle nutty or coffee-like flavor that can enhance the cake’s chocolate flavor. And because stout beer typically has a slightly bitter flavor, it can help balance the cake’s sweetness, resulting in a more complex and satisfying taste.
Overall, the addition of stout beer can take a traditional chocolate cake to new heights, adding depth and complexity to the flavor profile and resulting in a rich and decadent dessert that will surely impress.
Ingredients for chocolate stout cake:
- 2 cups of your favorite stout or porter
- 2 cups of unsalted butter, cold (usually 4 sticks)
- 1 1/2 cups Dutch-processed cocoa (do not substitute other types of baking cocoa.)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sour cream at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour three 8” or two 9” cake pans, If you want to pop your cakes out after baking easily, simply line them with parchment paper circles or rectangles.
- Heat the beer and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until the butter melts. Remove the saucepan from the burner and whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. (You must use Dutch-processed cocoa powder because this type replaces the need for baking soda.). Set aside and allow it to cool naturally.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In your mixer, beat together the eggs and sour cream. Add the beer/cocoa mixture.
- Turn the mixer to slow and gradually add the flour mixture. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Once combined, mix for about one more minute. Do not over-mix the batter.
- Pour the batter equally into the prepared pans. Bake 8” pans for 40-45 minutes or 9” pans for 55 to 60 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the middle of the cake. It should come out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool on a rack for 10 minutes before turning them over to pop out the cakes.
- Wait until the cakes are completely cool before frosting them.
Ingredients for dark chocolate frosting:
- 16 ounces cream cheese (2 packages) at room temperature
- 4 ounces of baking chocolate (bar), melted
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- About 5 tablespoons of milk
- 1/2 tablespoon of vanilla extract
In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and 2 tablespoons of milk together. Add the melted baking chocolate and vanilla. Slowly add the confectioner’s sugar. Add more milk as needed to keep the frosting creamy but not runny.
Stop by The Growler Guys to discover the best local beers.
Explore the growing variety of beers in one taproom, The Growler Guys. Each of our locations carries the best local varieties, from the palest ales to the darkest stouts, along with ciders and kombucha. Our friendly staff is happy to walk you through the characteristics of every style to help you discover your personal favorites. Take home the beers you love best in a growler to share with family and friends. View our online tap list to learn about the selections currently available at a location near you!
Leave a Reply